Yes Emily

Yes Emily, girls can ride motorcycles!


Monday, May 20, 2013

 Wake Up And Smell The Lilacs

For the first time in days I can smell again … and what a wonderful fragrance to wake up to. The air is dripping with the syrupy sweet spring smell of lilacs. It will be short lived so I’m glad to have recovered my olfactory sense just in time for the crescendo.

Looking up the drive (actually, it looks pretty much the same in all directions this time of year.)

Yesterday turned out to be a poor day for a ride and this morning looked almost as gloomy so I decided to polish the bike then take a walk on the wild side. I have found a Loon nesting close by the roadside at the lake and I’ve been visiting her daily.
She sits quietly, hidden by the rushes, only moving her head silently to keep watch. Hubby is usually swimming further out on the lake.
She had other visitors today. This Red Winged Blackbird dropped by to admire his reflections at the water's edge.
 
So I didn’t ride and it didn’t rain, sometimes that happens … but I’ve enjoyed the day. Washed and polished the bike ready for the sun, caught some polywogs with my son and granddaughter, planted some flowers and just relaxed...it was a holiday Monday, what’s not to enjoy! Happy May Two-Four (even if it happend on the Two-Oh this year!)

 

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful flower photos. Hard to believe that it was still snowing not to long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, it's amazing what Mother Nature can accomplish in just 5 short weeks. Everywhere I look are mountains of purple blooms (now that's my kind of mountain!)

      Delete
  2. Glad you're feeling better and able to enjoy those powerful purple blossoms. We stopped twice this weekend next to old homesteads that were long ago abandoned.....they left the lilac bushes though, lucky for us.

    Lovely clear shots of the nesting Loonies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you're blooming out there as well.
      I may have gone loonie ... but I'm getting quite attached to Momma L. Never been able to watch such a Canadian sight from so close before.

      Delete
  3. Karen:

    I was following in your footsteps, sort of. I went for an early morning ride downtown to snap some photos before it got busy and then came home and dabbled with my bike all day too. No rain today but rain forecast for everyday next week, including next Saturday

    At least your bike is home where you can touch it

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures. Sure wish I could smell the lilacs from here.

    We have them down here but they are a poor relation of those we grew up with in the Okanagan where the plants were taller than houses and lush with blooms. They are spindly here. We have a small one in our yard and it has already bloomed and is spent, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz this year the lilacs seem to be more lush than I can remember with fragrances to match. I think somebody should invent a smell app for that!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pics! I have never seen a blackbird. Glad your sniffer is working again. We have multitudes of lilacs here, as much as I love them my allergies don't :( Sometimes just puttering and polishing is just the ticket. Just think how shiny your star is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar the Redwinged Blackbirds are as iconic to spring in this area as the Robins. That fellow's wing badge almost looked entirely yellow, but the photo of his take off made it a blur of red. I feel sad for your allergies - this year, I hear, will be a bad one for those who suffer - hope not for you.

      Delete
  6. I love the colour purple and have planted many purple shrubs in my garden! Spring is a wonderful time of the year, enjoy!!
    We are in autumn over here in South Africa, which has a beauty all of its own as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorelle - the purples are spectacular and mixed with the green they are glorious. I only wish we had the capacity to link to the smell(breathtaking - no pun intended!) But you're right. Autumn is beautiful. (Let's just face it, we are lucky - there is so much beauty around us, we just have to see it.)

      Delete
  7. Bob - parallel universe. I rode to the vet's office (10k) and then from the house to the shed to put her to bed (100m)...But I rode proudly - she was so shiny. All kidding aside, rain predicted here all week (had a vicious storm last night, with tornado touch downs less than 200k away.) Am waiting for what tonight brings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lilacs...is there a nicer sight on a spring day? Glad to hear that your nose has cleared and you can smell them. Seasonal allergies are getting me this year too...

    I have seen some red-winged black birds here too, they do like to hang around lakes don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suzi - Oh, no! Seasonal allergies - you too? I can't imagine. So many people suffer and can't enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have lilacs in bloom -I have rhododendrons!

    ReplyDelete