Yes Emily

Yes Emily, girls can ride motorcycles!


Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tornadoes - Zero, Buffalo - Two (All In Just 448.7 km)


One last look back at Montana
"If you don't like the weather around here, give it 10 minutes and it'll change." That's what the gal at the gas station told me this morning where I topped up the tank before heading to Bismark. The predicted storms from the night before hadn't materialized and the sky looked bright a sunny. By 8:30 it was warming up nicely and assuming this would be the trend for the day I left wearing just the mesh layer of my jacket. (Of course, it's not the first wrong assumption that I've ever made.) Within 50 km I was stopping to zip the outer shell onto my jacket, and that's as warm as it got, just before it started to get cool again under a giant cloud. The predicted 89 degrees seemed to have passed over along with the storm and I was soon being buffeted by even stronger cross winds than yesterday. I'd round a bend and the wind would hit me head on for a bit but as the road snaked along the river it was soon battering me from the side again.
Hello North Dakota
It was a short ride but a tiring one. By the time I arrived at the Bismark KOA all I wanted to do was stand up straight and give my poor little neck a break from having to slam my bulbous, helmeted head into the wind. For a break I took a little 2 km walk down to a restaurant near the interstate to pick up a salad for dinner (I am attempting to make a grilled cheese on the back of the bike, but it didn't get hot enough today, maybe I'll have grilled cheese tomorrow). It felt good to stand up straight ... and now it's calm, no tornadoes in the alley today - but I think I'll give it 10 minutes before I make the call for tomorrow.
Stopped at the Painted Canyon again - where I heard there were Buffalo to be spotted

With the help of an older couple and their high powered binoculars we spotted Buffalo


Me at the Canyon

9 comments:

  1. If you're going to ride I-94 east, watch the left side of the road in Jamestown, near exit 258. You can see the worlds largest buffalo statue. I was going to try for a picture but I was too set on getting home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erik, big buffalo - I'm on that one. Crap, that reminds me I took a pic of the worlds largest holstein today and forgot to download it, it's on my phone. So if I see the Buffalo I'll have to post the two pics together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That wasn't a buffalo, it was a fly on your lens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buffalo - true story! (teeny, tiny, way far away buffalo, or maybe a bug on the lense)

      Delete
  4. Winds aside, that's some beautiful countryside you're riding through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got that right Canajun - so different looking that the Ottawa Valley (but it's beautiful too!). The winds are an excuse to stop a bit more often.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you'e having fun and will be home soon.
    We made yet another Kingston run yesterday. Worked on the dock and the kitchen cupboards. How I wish this was over!!!!
    Safe trip home!
    Love Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, sure hope the winds are kind to you today. Cross winds have got to be the worst.

    At least you saw some buffalo. And I like the idea of a walk after getting off the bike. Work all the kinks out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you're enjoying your travels home, you certainly look happy. You and Bob are the last ones still on the road and Bob is expected home tonight. Ride safe.

    ReplyDelete