Yes Emily

Yes Emily, girls can ride motorcycles!


Tuesday, April 9, 2013


Gary’s Challenge – Cool Places To Park Your Motorcycle
 

So Gary, I really haven’t parked my bike in too many contest winning, cool, outlandish, weird or otherwise unusual spots but I have parked in front of some memorable vistas.

First, this isn’t the star, this was my sweet,  Savage Suzi, parked somewhere south of Jackson Hole, maybe Colorado or Utah … don’t remember exactly where, but I’ve always loved how the sun danced off her windscreen. (Anybody recognize where I was?)
 
 
Next, the new Star shining on the coast of Prince Edward Island with the spectacular Confederation Bridge in the background.
 
 
And the Star, dwarfed by a lighthouse (nothing remarkable here, except for the fact I travelled over a kilometer on wet, red sand, balancing between two tire ruts – there was no turning back until I got to the end.)

Here's the Star hugging the Welcome to Utah sign.
 
 
And at the Bonneville Salt Flats ... ya, nice place to look at, but ride on it? Really!
 
 
I also loved the fog behind the Star at Bodega Bay (where Alfred Hitchcock’s “The Birds” was filmed.)


And my last photo - parked inside a Good Samaratan's Garage, Black River Wisconsin after being caught in a wicked 'black' weather system.
 
Gary, nothing but memories - thanks for bringing them back (and not making me sit on the centre line of some outrageously dangerous place!)

18 comments:

  1. Bravo! I like them all, but I am on the fence what to call my favorite: the Bonneville Flats or the shelter from the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Salt Flats picture. Simple, but it makes me think of what happens on the salt behind your bike. I laughed about the centre line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen:

    You've parked your bike in many cool places. Your 2011 photos give me memories of your trip to CA

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices Karen.

    I laughed when I read the center-line bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, I saw Gary's challenge, as well as a photo scavenger hunt that Rob Wilson posted about on his blog. I ran through my pictures, only to realize that I've got lots of pictures of interesting things, and too many of the shots were taken from the saddle so the bike is not in the shot. I should have torn a page from Steve Williams' blog and your excellent photos. This year I'm making a resolution to make my bike a star too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I've got tooo many shots with the bikes included....you and I need to find a balance.

      Delete
  6. Nice photos! I lie lighthouses but the Bonneville Salt Flats one is pretty cool as well. I think that Gary has his hands full....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen,
    All great but my favorite is a no brainer.....I totally fell in love with PEI and none of my shots included the bridge since at that time it was only a concept. I need to go back....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coop - there's a soft spot in my heart for PEI...I travelled over that bridge with my family by car the year it opened (and several times before and after) but have only travelled it twice by motorcycle. (Hoping this year to make it 3 times, oops the secret is out!)

      Delete
    2. Karen:

      I keep thinking about it too . . .

      but it will be my "first", and you know how you always savour your "first time"

      bob
      Riding the Wet Coast

      Delete
    3. So true Bob. You never have a second chance for a first time.

      Delete
    4. By the by Coop - did you know it was Sir. John A. MacDonald who first had the idea to build the bridge? We Canadians don't like to rush into anything.

      Delete
  8. Did you ride on the salt? I imagine it would play hell with a motorcycle's underparts and require an immediate hosing down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No salt for me! Just before pulling over for that photo I'd passed a young man who, ignoring all warning signs that the flats are unpredictable, decided to race his Toyota Camry across the salt, right off the highway. I had to pull over because I was laughing so hard. The Camry had sunk to the chasis and he was standing there pondering what to do. (by the tire marks, I'm pretty sure he wasn't the first.)
      I wasn't passing through during any of the run times so didn't stay long. The viewing spot had rinsing taps to clean your boots after walking on the salt. Just being beside the salt - everything was coverd. Can't imagine what it would be like to ride them, especially if you sank:o)...wonder what he told his Mom?

      Delete
  9. I have heard that if there has been rain on the salt recently, it turns to slush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like quick sand according to the warnings.

      Delete
  10. All of your photos are cool places to park your motorcycle, I am especially jealous not necessarily of the lighthouse, but of PEI.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Troubadour, it is a beautiful province even if some of the roads are not so 'cruiser' friendly. The day of the lighthouse I was certainly glad I'd left most of the weight behind at the campground (as you may have noticed, I do not pack light!)

    ReplyDelete