Yes Emily

Yes Emily, girls can ride motorcycles!


Sunday, January 5, 2014

Right then – Part two of Motorcycle SuperShow 2014.

Getting ready to head to the show and the question entered my mind, “What the heck am I going to be looking for?” This is motorcycle blog fodder, I need a focus.


Well, for sure I’m going to be looking at the GP Bikes display, totally disappointed with my (only 2 year old) Gears saddle bags I’d already dog eared a couple of pages in their catalogue, but 500 exhibitors in 425,000 square feet of space needs a plan. I subscribe to MotorcycleMojo Magazine and I’m lucky enough to have a few other current motorcycle rags hanging about by donation … and visions of motorcycles were dancing in my head.

While madly leafing through the glossy pages it came to me. Start by looking at what the experts are looking at: whether for paycheque or passion, they know more than I do, so I quickly scribbled down some unofficial statistics. What's hot for 2014? Based purely on the number of pages devoted to the model in the 5 current motorcycle magazines that I had on hand I came up with a short-list.

The Yamaha FZ09 came in at first place with a record 21 pages devoted solely to it (Wow).
Tied for second were the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 (turning 30) and the H.D. Ultra (Glide and/or Classic) models with 9 pages each.
In third, with 8 pages each, were the CanAm Spyder and the Yamaha FJR1300ES (way to go Yamaha marketing department, 2 in the top 3ish.)

 
I had a good place to start ... and then I'd just let the farkles and the sparkles lead me where they may. Of course this time I had my own personal tour guide, Ken, whose knowledge of motorcycles old and new is encyclopedic. I knew he'd keep me focused. (PS I'm leaning toward the Spyder - one word: REVERSE!)


In the end ... Ken and I both agreed, though we couldn't put a finger on why. This years show was better than last years.

4 comments:

  1. Ural has reverse and many sidecar builders can put in reverse…

    The Spyder looks massive in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, it was massive - though comfy to sit on. It also has power steering ... kind of like a Volkswagen without a lid isn't it? The other option I didn't mention was - training wheels.

      Delete
  2. Red is a good color for you.. A trade in the works?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure was a flashy machine ... but no trades in the works (just thinking ahead for when I'm too old and feeble to balance the star at a stop sign ... oh wait a minute, I have some of those days now.)

    ReplyDelete